Applying Professional Scrum™ (APS) is a hands-on, activity-based course in which students experience how Professional Scrum and the Scrum framework improve their ability to deliver value compared to traditional methods. Scrum provides a better way of working that highlights the use of experimentation, incremental delivery of customer value, frequent feedback loops and the fostering of strong team dynamics.
The course provides an active learning environment for students to engage in discussion, team-based exercises, and individual reflection. During the course, students work in Scrum Teams over a series of Sprints to learn Scrum while using Scrum.
In this two-day class* students learn to apply Professional Scrum. They experience new, agile ways of working that enable teams to deliver more value, satisfy stakeholders and work better together. Students work together as a team in a series of Sprints to solve complex problems, facing similar challenges that they face outside of class and learning how to use Scrum to address them. These Sprints enable students to see the practical application of Scrum and to understand the value of an Agile mindset. Additionally, these Sprints expose common missteps and misunderstandings often seen while using Scrum, allowing students to develop an awareness of the associated symptoms and how to correct them. Students not only learn Scrum; they learn how to use Scrum well.
This class is taught both publicly and privately. In a public setting individual students or multiple colleagues from the same company, will join other students and benefit from diverse experiences. Organizations can also contact Professional Scrum Trainers to hold a private class just for their organization.
View the different Focus Areas covered within this class and others.
Key Learning Areas
- Learn about Agility and how Scrum differs from traditional plan-driven work models
- Develop an Agile mindset by focusing on professionalism, experimentation, and outcomes
- Learn (or relearn) the fundamentals of Scrum and how to apply them correctly
- Develop an understanding of what it is like to use Scrum and if it is right for your team
- Learn how to be a great Scrum Team member, or how to support a great Scrum Team
- Leave the class with ways to identify common pitfalls and how to avoid them
- Students use a set of proven practices throughout the class that can be used to enhance their application of Scrum
- Leave with tools that help Identify first steps in applying Professional Scrum with your team
- Fundamentals of Scrum
- Exploring the Scrum Framework
- Deeper into the Scrum Framework
- Planning With Scrum
- Getting Started
Sprints: Students actively use the Scrum framework with realistic and practical hands-on exercises that reinforce the learning points. Practicing Scrum in several mini-Sprints ensures that students leave class with knowledge as well as muscle memory.
Why Scrum.org: Scrum.org training provides a hands-on, activity-based learning experience using a consistent set of materials around the world no matter which of our Professional Scrum Trainers (PSTs) is teaching the course. Each course explores real-world challenges to help students apply what they learn in their roles once back at work.
Each Scrum.org course is assigned 2 stewards who work with the PST community to crowdsource the maintenance of the courseware. The stewards are ultimately responsible for collecting input on the course materials, both those that exist and potentially additions to be made and provide updates as required.
On their path to becoming a PST, they must have several years of Scrum experience. Once PST candidates apply, they then go through an extensive process that includes interviews, validation of knowledge, training, peer reviews and more.
PSTs bring their own style and experiences with a consistent delivery of Scrum.org training around the world, so you know each course we teach is aligned with Professional Scrum, and all your teammates are learning from the same course materials.
The Applying Professional Scrum course is the perfect introduction, reboot, or refresher to Scrum. It is excellent training for organizations, teams, and individuals wanting to experience the benefits of Scrum, or for those interested in continuing their learning with more advanced training.
- Professionals who are part of a team that currently uses Scrum but desire a refresher so that they get the most out of their use of Scrum.
- Professionals who are joining a team that currently uses Scrum.
- Professionals that don’t use Scrum directly but want to learn how to work with colleagues that do use Scrum
- Professionals that are investigating to see if Scrum makes sense for them and their colleagues
- Professionals that are part of an organization that intends to use Scrum in the near future
- Teams who are learning to use Scrum together in their organizations
The course also provides the foundational Scrum knowledge needed for those wishing to continue their education with role-focused (Scrum Master, Product Owner, Developer, Leader) training classes. APS is not recommended for advanced Scrum professionals.
This course is designed to be domain-agnostic; it conveys the use of Scrum in any domain or industry with complex problems to solve. Trainers typically have experience in multiple industries and may be able to tailor the course to the needs of your team. Students and teams building software products may want to consider our domain-specific course: Applying Professional Scrum for Software Development.
Assessment Certification: All participants completing the Applying Professional Scrum course will receive a password to attempt the Professional Scrum Master I (PSM I) assessment, which requires a minimum passing score for certification.
No Scrum experience required.